Life isn’t about what you have or don’t have, but about what you give” ~ Amy Purdy
I recently got inspired by this quote by Amy Purdy, a snowboarder/skateboarder who lost her legs when she was 19. It is always amazing to me that people who have had the greatest hardships can be the most selfless and grateful. Pass The Bucket is video series I found on line sponsored by VANS.
All of the ones I have watched so far have been about people seeing beyond themselves, and seeing that is the true meaning in life.
It is about sharing what we have to give.
It has made me think about how I can give more and a good reminder that is the kind of person I want to be. It is about sharing and giving in the small ways that really make a difference.
So I have set some everyday goals for myself for becoming a more giving person, and realizing the ways I have been stingy in the past and how it didn’t feel good.
- Being nicer to people.
- Giving of my time.
- Smiling more.
- Giving things away, and expecting nothing in return.
- Doing something for someone else.
- Asking how can I help? and not thinking about what is in it for me.
I am so aware of how short life is and that what truly matters isn’t the accumulation of things, but on how I am as a person. How can I live the best life and be the best person I can be.
How can I give, and what do I have to share?
In order to give I first need to feel good in myself.
I am learning that is number one, because if I don’t feel good it is pretty hard to want to give or feel like I have anything to share.
Some things I have been doing to feel good are:
- I wake up early, have coffee (which I love), and write in my journal. Everyday I make a gratitude list for what I am grateful for. Things that are easy to start taking for granted, like a hot cup of coffee, having a good place to live, good health, a car, a job. Reminding myself that I have so much and am so lucky. Dwelling on all I have and not what I don’t have
- Getting clear with what I want. I have found in talking with people that they arn’t happy or satisfied because they don’t know what they want.
- BELIEVING it is possible.
- Staying away from people that are negative.
- Only watching inspiring videos.
- Not reading the news or turning on the TV
- Eating healthy – I recently discovered that for $53 I can get an organic veggie box delivered right to my door! I am in week 2 of doing this and it feels great knowing I am eating better foods for my body.
- Not taking intoxicants
- Getting enough sleep
- Doing what brings me JOY ~ Art, paddling, surfing, biking, being outside
- Noticing ~ the light outside, a cool flower, the beauty on the river
I know I don’t have long on this earth and am so happy for this year of self discovery. Having the discipline to do the things that are actually good for me and make me feel good. I am feeling now like I have something to give, and that’s what I want my life to be about.
Today I am grateful for giving, growing, and the people who have already learned this and share their stories. Thank you!